Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Black Diamond Watermelon

This past weekend Dustin and I picked up a few items from the little produce stand off the road in Shoreview. I couldn't resist purchasing the Black Diamond Watermelon. The watermelon lover I am, I wanted to give it a try!

I cut the melon up this evening. The first thing I noticed was how incredibly tough the skin was. Regular green or white striped watermelon have really thick rinds but they are easy to cut into. This one was a struggle! Notice the thin rind in the picture. A few times the flesh of the melon pulled back off the rind without my assistance.

The first chunk I cut off I scarfed up. The produce man said these watermelons are sweeter than the green watermelons. It sure was sweeter, but not by a landslide. I don't know if it was the green flecks that were left behind from cutting into the rind or not, but it kind of tasted a little black peppery to me. Maybe the green flecks looked like pepper to me subconsciously so I tasted pepper.

I eagerly chopped up the rest of the melon and put it in the fridge. I am looking forward to having a taste of cold watermelon!

I don't know if I would buy it again, but I will say that $8.00 for the little guy it was worth it just to say I tried it.

No comments: